17 Sep Useful information before your stay…
We look forward to welcoming you! Here’s some helpful information to know before you go:
Where is Nambiti Plains Lodge?
Nambiti Plains is situated within the Nambiti Big 5 Private Game Reserve, only 28km north of Ladysmith, roughly a 4.5-hour drive from Johannesburg and a 3.5-hour drive from Durban.
Arriving at Nambiti
You will sign an indemnity information form at the Nambiti gate. All private vehicles will be parked in the undercover parking close to the main gate. Your guide will collect you from there and take you to the lodge. Please contact the lodge when passing Ladysmith so that we can be sure to be ready for you when you arrive as the lodge is situated a distance from the gate.
The reserve gates information is that they open at 06h00 and close at 18h00.
Check-in and Check-out information
- Check-in is at 12h30 (in time for lunch) with check-in to the rooms from 14h00. Lunch is usually served between 13h30 to 14h30. Late arrivals can still enjoy a small high tea in the afternoon.
- When travelling to Nambiti Plains, please take into account that game drives usually start at 15h30 on your day of arrival. If you arrive late, you could possibly miss the first game drive.
- Check-out is at 10h30 (our vehicle will transfer you back to your car).
- Luxury accommodation
- Welcome drinks
- Arrival Gift
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and/or high tea, dinner)
- Safari Activities: Two game drives per day with a professional guide
- Snacks and refreshments on safari – minerals, local beers and house wine on the afternoon safaris
- Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, breakfast juices and water available all day
- A glass of house wine during dinner
- Boma and bush dinners (weather permitted)
- WiFi throughout the Main Lodge and the suites
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- 1% Tourism Levy & 15% VAT
- Transfers to and from the Reserve – this can be arranged through the Lodge at an additional cost
- Reserve conservation levy per person per day
- Additional Safari Activities: Walking Safaris, Night drives, Fishing and Star Gazing
- Alternative Activities outside the Reserve: Helicopter flips, Battlefield Tours and Drakensberg outings
- Private Picnics and Bush Breakfasts
- Romantic Private Champagne Dinner Curios, gratuities and telephone calls
- Minibar items and additional beverages ordered at the bar such as Cellar wines and champagnes and all imported spirits and beers
- Laundry service available at an additional charge
- Wedding Packages and special events
Extras to be settled upon departure at the lodge by cash, Master or Visa card only. We don’t accept Diners, American Express, debit cards and cheques.
Bookings and cancellations
Nambiti Plains requires a 20% deposit to secure a booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing and conditions of cancellation are as follows:
- Less than 14 days prior to confirmed arrival date = 100% cancellation fee
- 15 to 30 days prior to confirmed arrival date = 50% cancellation fee
- 31 days and more prior to confirmed arrival date = loss of 20% deposit.
We require written confirmation for all cancellations (email or fax).
The main lodge is imaginatively weaved and constructed and perched on the waterhole edge, providing a fine line between luxury and the reality of the African wild.
Nambiti Plains is not fenced in, allowing animals to move freely through the camp. This gives you the opportunity to view animals in their natural environment from the comfort of the decks.
Our facilities include:
- Decks with wonderful views of the waterhole and open plains
- A swimming pool at the lodge that has wrap-around decks and overlooks the waterhole
- Lounge chairs and pool loungers
- Board games
- Communal set of binoculars
What makes Nambiti Plains unique?
The lodge itself only caters for 14 people, allowing exceptional service while existing harmoniously with the nature surrounding it. The lodge is set in the bush with no fencing, allowing animals to move freely through the lodge area, resulting in low impact on the natural setting.
What facilities can I expect to find in my room?
All our rooms, whether they are the inter-leading Luxury units or the more private Honeymoon suites, are expansive and larger than typical hotel rooms found elsewhere. Both room types have their own private decks and open-plan bathroom areas with large bathtubs overlooking the African wild, as well as indoor showers. The Honeymoon suites additionally include an outside shower as well as air-conditioning. All rooms have a safe, minibar, tea and coffee station, torches, hairdryers, towels, bathrobes, fans, mosquito nets and floor to ceiling windows as well as air-conditioning that double up as a heater as well.
Our amenities are produced by Healing Earth, who pride themselves on their award-winning, natural and eco-friendly range of soaps and body lotions.
Is there a swimming pool?
Yes – there is a swimming pool located at the main lodge, overlooking the waterhole. Our pool is frequented by herds of elephant stopping by for a drink.
Is the water from the tap safe to drink?
The water is safe to drink, although we take further precautions by triple-filtering it and exposing it to UV light to purify the water. This water is available from the main lodge, and each room has a jug of filtered water which is refilled twice a day.
Is Nambiti Reserve free of malaria?
Yes. There’s no need to take malaria medication.
Is there internet and cell phone reception?
Yes, there is.
Will I definitely see elephants/lions/leopards, etc.?
While our guides are trained to provide a diverse and holistic safari experience, it is not always possible to see all of the animals. Invariably, we are very successful at finding four of the Big Five and an abundance of general game, as well as some unique species that are not seen in other parks, such as gemsbuck, steenbuck, serval, eland and red hartebeest. At times, animals can be unpredictable and elusive – it’s all part of the excitement and surprise of being on safari.
Are children allowed on game drives?
Since Nambiti Plains isn’t fenced in, we don’t accommodate children under the age of 8 years. Children 8 years and older are welcome on game drives with their parents.
How many other guests will be on the game vehicle with me?
Our game drive vehicles can accommodate up to 10 people; however, we aim to keep the maximum number of people on vehicles between 6 – 8, subject to family groups and couples. If you would like a more intimate safari experience, a private vehicle and guide can be booked for R4,000 per day.
What should I wear?
We recommend comfortable, closed shoes and neutral-coloured clothing. It is also advisable to bring a jacket or warm jersey to wear on game drives as the vehicles are open.
Do you cater for different dietary requirements, allergies, etc.?
Nambiti Plains is owned by the founders of Fry’s Vegetarian Foods, so we are flexible with other dietary requirements. We can cater for different diets including vegetarian, vegan, Halaal, Kosher, gluten-free, dairy-free, LCHF diet (banting).
Do you do anything special for anniversaries and honeymoon couples?
We love love! We’ll be sure to give our couples special attention and romantic touches like a turndown service, bubble bath with sparkling wine and snacks, and a private dinner under the stars.
Do you need any further information?
Feel free to contact Reservations: email@example.com, or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries or special rate requests or information.